Like millions of others across the globe, we make New Years' resolutions each and every year. The one difference is, our resolutions pertain exclusively to pickleball (although, with the explosion of pickleball, we may not be alone in this any longer).
We made these resolutions last year, but have fallen short on a few. So, we are re-upping our promise to ourselves and hoping to follow through on our pickleball resolutions this 2023...
Our 2023 Pickleball Resolutions
1. I will not blame the wind every time I hit a third-shot drop into the net – especially when playing indoors.
2. I will call kitchen-line foot faults against myself at all times during rec play (until the score reaches 8).
3. I will not hit a hard smash directly at a vulnerable opponent who hasn’t already left a red mark on my torso during the same game.
4. I will avoid taking issue with an opponent’s line call, and if that’s not possible, I will avoid saying something like, “Even Stevie Wonder would have called that in.
5. I will be kind to new players learning the game, because you never know: One day one of them might be your orthopedic surgeon.
6. I will not pretend to inspect the ball for cracks after I muff an easy return.
7. I will not judge a book by its cover, but if I find myself playing against somebody who has one of those suction cups on the end of the paddle handle, I will keep the ball low.
8. When playing pickleball with somebody who stops play to answer cell phone calls on the court, I will not derisively refer to that person as “prime minister” for the rest of the session.
9. I will spend less time watching YouTube pickleball videos during Zoom meetings at work.
10. I will not buy more than three paddles this year, unless I win the lottery or improve my skill rating by half-a-point.
What are your pickleball resolutions this year?
About the Author
Frank Cerabino is a long-time columnist for the Palm Beach Post in Florida, a pickleball addict like the rest of us, and a newly published author. Check out Frank's newly released book, I Dink, Therefore I Am: Coming to Grips with My Pickleball Addiction (available on Amazon and a great read (or gift!) for any pickleball player), for pickleball tips and laughs!