Tournaments are becoming increasingly popular among pickleball players. One of the biggest pickleball tournaments of the year, the US Open, begins on Sunday, April 22nd in Naples, Florida. As we enter in the final countdown to the weeklong US Open tournament, we thought we would share 5 things to know for all those Picklers competing next week (these tips also generally apply to any other pickleball tournament you may participate in):
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Staying hydrated is a challenge when you are out on the pickleball courts all day in the hot sun (especially under the hot Florida sun). Be sure to drink plenty of water, which should start a few days before the tournament and continue throughout the end of the competition.
- Find Shade. Pickleball tournaments can mean long days. As much as it is important to stay hydrated, it is just as important to conserve energy, find shade and rest in between matches. The tricky part is managing to stay loose and limber for that next pickleball match!
- Read the Rules. Be knowledgeable about the rules of the tournament, including the format of the bracket (for instance, at the US Open, if you fall into the consolation bracket, the best result you can achieve is bronze, as only the winners bracket can compete for gold and silver). Knowing the rules ahead of time can help mentally prepare you for the day and help you avoid any surprises on the pickleball courts. Be sure to check your email leading up to the tournament, as many pickleball tournaments, including the US Open, will email you final rules leading up to the day of competition.
- Listen for Your Name. Many tournaments call participants over loud speakers. It is important to stay alert and listen for your name to be called because failure to report to the appropriate pickleball court on time may result in a forfeit.
- Enjoy the Moment. Tournaments are an opportunity to show off all of your hard work on the pickleball court and to play the great sport of pickleball with your friends and family. Although we all want to rise to the challenge and compete, remember to have fun and enjoy the moment out on the pickleball courts!
Good luck to all of the pickleball players heading to Naples, Florida to compete in the US Open! We look forward to seeing you there!
Shout out below if you are playing in the US Open!